3rd Annual Mini Pot
Pork & Smoked Sausage
Jambalaya Cook Off
Saturday, October 22, 2016
The Cane Farmers Cup
Cooks, please NOTE rule changes this year.
All cooking will be done on a wood fire. Youngsters are welcome to compete, however, an adult has to be nearby and must intervene should a safety issue occur. Additionally, there is no youth division, all entries, young and old, will compete on the same playing field.
Poche Plantation Complimentary Check List
Rules and Regulations
1. Contestants must cook on an open wood fire on the front lawn/property of Poche Plantation in Convent in a designated area provided by the Arts & Crafts committee.
2. Cooks may unload their supplies, then, park vehicles nearby, but a safe distant from the cooking area.
3. Contestants must supply all of their cooking equipment; mini pot, lid, cooking utensils, pot stand, mittens and/or devices needed to lift the pot, lid and/or the stand. Cooks may use a small rake or a similar device to move hot wood in order to maintain a desired temperature for his/her jambalaya.
4. It is okay for cooks to use windbreakers/shields to protect their pots against wind conditions. Additionally, cooks are allowed to use mini air blowers which are used to intensify heat generated by wood fires.
5. Contestants are also allowed to cook on elevated stands if desired.
6. Strict food safety should be exercised by all cooks and helpers. Additionally, cooks must enforce personal safety for themselves, their helpers and on-lookers. We don’t want anyone injured by the wood fires or hot cooking equipment.
7. Cooks can set up at 6:30 AM on Saturday, October 22nd 2016. Cooking can begin at 7 AM, however all mini jambalayas must be completely cooked and ready for sampling at 11 AM.
8. Shortly after 11AM, all mini pots will collected and delivered to a panel of jambalaya judges. Each pot and lid will have an identification tag attached to insure that your pot and lid are returned to you. Cooks will be able to pick up/claim his/her pot shortly after judging is completed.
9. Winners will be announced on the entertainment stage at 1PM on Saturday, October 22nd. First, Second and Third places will be awarded.
Note It might be a good idea to bring a lawn chair or two.
If you have questions or concerns, please e-mail Larry Roussel at [email protected]
or call Larry at 225-417-8110.